Saturday, March 28, 2015

Finish, Attempts at New Techniques and My First Label

Update:  I just realized there is a credit that I failed to include.  And that was my inspiration for my free motion quilting which came from http://leahday.com/.  I have only done stippling but one day hope to branch out and try some more.

I have finally finished my sister's angel heart quilt.  I have
tried a couple of new techniques and put my first label
ever on this quilt.

These are just some close ups of some of the details on the blocks.


This one shows one of the new details that I tried on this quilt.
You can find a tutorial here at Podunk Pretties for this scalloped border.




And here is a tutorial for this piped binding at Aunt Marti's 52 Quilts
I really like how it turned out and I think the corners mitered better than I have ever been able to
get them to in the past even if they are not just perfect.  The miter on the denim was from the tutorial mentioned above for the scalloped tutorial.











And lastly is the first label I have ever made.  I must admit that I did lots of searching on the internet
for tutorials on this element.  But probably used Dolls and Daydreams for the best part of my inspiration.  I wound up with a product called Blumenthal Craft, Crafter's Images Computer Crafting at Home.  It is a 100% Cotton Poplin but I think at some point I am going to try the freezer paper with a white cotton poplin or similar fabric.  I wasn't absolutely pleased with my label and so I want to play around with that more.  The directions on the product said that it works with all Inkjet Printers but I was really concerned about the ink not setting so I ironed it with a very hot iron to try to set the ink first and then poured vinegar into a shallow dish and wet the entire label and rinsed before taking it back and drying it with the very hot iron.  The label was just a little larger than I liked and when
I did my binding you can see where I sewed across the corners.  I don't so much mind that the thread from the binding was on that side but I don't like that it went across my label.  So I think I need to work with making a design that will set away from my binding far enough that my sewing line won't go directly across the corner of my label. 



All in all I am still pleased with the way it turned out.  I so love the red against that denim.
It just sets against the blue denim so pretty.